Ottawa Granite Blog & News
Sealing Your Ottawa Granite Countertops
As we’ve mentioned, you will need to seal your granite countertops at least on an annual basis. As granite is porous, and how easily stained the proper maintenance is a must.
To check whether your granite countertops need sealing, pour some water on them and if it beads up like a freshly waxed car, you are good. Another way to tell is to pour water and then dry it – if the stone appears darker in color than the stone around it, it means the water has soacked in and your granite countertops need to be sealed.
The following are steps to sealing:
- Clean the entire surface with mild dishwashing liquid.
- Let dry, with no contact to any liquids, for 24 hours.
- Apply the sealer uniformly in one meter sections with a clean, soft cloth or paint brush, applying the amount of sealer recommended by the manufacturer.
- Allow the sealant to absorb for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- As the sealant is almost dry apply a little more to the granite and work it in with a clean dry cloth to a shine.
Leave a Reply