Ottawa Granite Blog & News
Caring for Your Ottawa Marble Kitchen Countertops
While stunning and beautiful, their softness makes marble countertops especially susceptible to scratches, etchings, and stains.
So how do you take care of your Ottawa marble countertops to maintain that stunning look? Let’s start with the daily care. Use a microfiber cloth and water to wipe clean your marble kitchen countertops every day. As marble is naturally porous, stay away from using abrasive products or generic chemicals. Invest in a cleaner specially designed for marble countertops. You can find these in several places including TNT’s showrooms serving Ottawa, West Ottawa, Carp, Kanata, Stittsville, West Carleton, Dunrobin, and Arnprior.
Some common causes for damage to marble kitchen countertops include:
- Stains from acidic liquids such as lemon, vinegar, and wine… and even cooking oil. Thses all strip away your marble countertops sealant.
- Chopping and cutting directly on the marble countertops… even dragging things along the marble can create scratches.
- Extreme heat and cold can damage your Ottawa marble kitchen countertops.
Ways to avoid damage to your marble counterops include; include: How to Care for Your Marble Countertops
- Reseal your marble kitchen countertops periodically. This closes the pores inside of marble countertops to make it resistant to the absorption of chemicals, acids, and other stain-producers. How often? Once or twice a year depending how much use they get.
- Wipe your marble countertops regularly by wiping them clean after each use. Use a soft sponge and avoid abrasive cleaners.
- Use a cutting board – while those marble counterops may look durable enough, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Use hot pads between your pots/pans and marble countertops. And if you do get a burn mark, they can be removed with creams and solutions you can use to polish your marble countertop. TNT carries these in our howrooms serving Ottawa, West Ottawa, Carp, Kanata, Stittsville, West Carleton, Dunrobin, and Arnprior.
Leave a Reply